Monday, November 3, 2014

It's The Great Pumpkin Dessert, Charlie Brown!



This dessert is certainly nothing new or inspiring. It's a recipe that has been around for ages and I'm sure almost everyone has tried at least a variation of it before - probably under the title of "dump cake" which is certainly an unappetizing title. However, it is an especially sentimental dessert for me and my family.

Isn't it a beautiful thing to behold? I seriously love this.


My Mom would always make this "upside-down pumpkin cake" for Halloween night, occasionally for Dad's birthday or any other time that us kids could beg and plead her to whip it up. This dish is not only super easy to throw together, but it is also like two desserts in one. If you eat it slightly warm with a dollop of whipped cream, the cake is soft and gooey with the whipped cream melting perfectly into every bite. It's totally comfort food! However, if you let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, the topping develops a crunchy texture that is a delightful contrast to the pumpkin filling (which intensifies in flavor the longer it sits) beneath. I love it both ways! The chilled version is especially good for an indulgent breakfast.

This recipe is so dear to my heart that it saddens me that my husband hates it so much. He hates it, hates it, hates it. He can't exactly pinpoint why, but he just is not a fan. Don't let this make you think it's not delicious. He has some weird issues with textures and desserts. For example, he has made the claim that he abhors mousse and will never touch a mousse dessert. I call baloney on that because his favorite cake is this Chocolate Mousse Cake. I can only imagine that one of is eccentric preferences is preventing him from fully enjoying this. The kids and I love it, but we can't really finish up a pan by ourselves. Thus, I only make this dessert when we will be having company or if the craving just becomes to much for me. The craving won out on Halloween night and that is why I have a picture of my slice to show you!

This is by far the favorite dessert of my side of the family. I think we would all gladly sit with Linus in the pumpkin patch waiting for a slice of this dessert - although perhaps eating a pumpkin dessert is insulting to the Great Pumpkin? Make this - especially if you are a pumpkin lover - and I can guarantee that you won't be sorry! (Unless you're weird...like Paul)



Upside-Down Pumpkin Pie
recipe from my Mom

1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs, beaten
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
1 box yellow cake mix (I love Pillsbury)
2 sticks melted butter (I never said this was healthy)
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (optional - but I never make it without the nuts!)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Beat well the pumpkin, sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and evaporated milk until well blended. Pour into a greased 13x9 glass pyrex pan. Sprinkle evenly with the cake mix. Gently and carefully pour the melted butter evenly over the top. Sprinkle with nuts.

Bake for about 55 minutes at 350 degrees or until the cake is set. Cover with foil if you think the nuts are browning too quickly. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled with lots of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

2 comments:

  1. This dessert is right up my alley. Looks so good. I never buy box cakes but I will make an exception for this recipe. I'll be sure to buy Pillsbury brand. I sent this recipe to my granddaughter who enjoys baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never buy cake mix either except for this recipe. I've toyed with the idea of making my own "cake mix" to use as the topping, but feel the taste just would not be the same. The recipe is just too sentimental. I hope you all enjoy!!

      Delete