Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Sausage Egg Strata: Paul's Favorite Breakfast


Today's post is going to be short and to the point. I have five little ones in my care today and they have graciously given me a few precious moments to check my email and type this out while they are temporarily mesmerized with an afternoon movie. I had them outside all morning long in the sweltering heat and now they are all lying on the floor near the A/C vents trying to recover. It's really hot outside today - but I'm not complaining because I LOVE summer!




I wanted to share this recipe for a simple Sausage Egg Strata. I've had this recipe scribbled down on a ratty recipe card and have no idea where it came from. I imagine that I probably got it from my Mom since she always made a strata of some sort on Christmas Eve. No matter the source, this has become our family's go-to breakfast bake because it is Paul's favorite. It is incredibly easy, requires very few ingredients, and is completely delicious. Matthew is also a major sausage-lover (he just calls it "pig") so this casserole is always a big hit with him as well. We usually make this for special occasions, like Christmas morning, Father's Day, or Easter Sunday. I love that everything is done the night before so that all you have to do the next morning is slide it in the oven to bake while you enjoy a cup of coffee while perusing the morning paper. Serve generous slices of this strata with a fruit salad and tall glasses of orange juice.

Sausage Egg Strata

6 ounces white bread, cubed
1 pound pork sausage (we like hot breakfast sausage)
2 cups milk
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt (or less depending on the saltiness of your sausage)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar

Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain on paper towels.

Meanwhile, whisk together the milk, eggs, salt, mustard, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and gently fold into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula. Fold in the sausage.

Grease a 8x8" glass baking pan with cooking oil. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and smooth the top. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.

The morning you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Let the strata sit out at room temperature as the oven heats up. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment